Do you hate wasteful government spending? Do you hate cruelty to puppies and kittens? Do you sweat the details, enjoy working with a team, and dig a start-up culture?
If you answered yes, read on: this is your dream career opportunity. We’re looking for a Development Manager to help us build the future, today.
What We’re Looking For: A Development Manager to provide day-to-day cultivation, stewardship, and management of our mid-level and major donor fundraising program. S/he will work remotely from home and closely with the President and other remote employees/stakeholders. Must be fully committed to WCW’s mission of ending taxpayer funding for animal experimentation. Strong interest in issue advocacy, politics, public affairs, or animal protection work. This is a full-time, salaried staff position. Washington, DC metro-area candidates preferred.
Why You Want This Job: White Coat Waste Project (WCW) is a rapidly growing and innovative 501c3 non-profit start-up based in the Washington, D.C. area. We’re a taxpayer watchdog and bipartisan coalition of 2 million+ animal lovers and liberty lovers. Our message? Taxpayers shouldn’t be forced to pay $15 billion for wasteful government animal experiments. We find, expose, and de-fund wasteful government spending through hard-hitting investigations and public policy campaigns. Richmond Times-Dispatch says our message has “infiltrated the federal government.” Our work has been featured in USA Today, New York Times, Fox News, and hundreds of other media outlets. WCW was awarded the 2018 LUSH Prize for the world’s top public awareness campaign.
The Development Manager is responsible for specific duties that include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
- Plan: work with President to craft and execute WCW’s major donor fundraising plan
- Fundraising: ensure WCW raises a defined revenue target from our active and lapsed major donor portfolio.
- Stewardship: maintain good relations with major donor portfolio. Manage ongoing touchpoints in accordance with fundraising plan (regular phone calls, one-to-one email notes, in-person meetings, etc.)
- Cultivation: find, research, prioritize, and educate new suspects and prospects to become WCW major donors.
- Donor CRM: manage major donor pipeline, wealth screening, etc.
- Reports: manage reports for relevant donors, foundations and grant makers.
- Miscellaneous: additional relevant project management and duties, as assigned.
A competitive candidate will have the following background, knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- 3-5 years’ experience working in major donor development.
- Excellent writing skills. You don’t miss the main point or “bury the lead” when sending an email to your portfolio.
- Demonstrated interest in public policy, government relations, grassroots campaigns, animal advocacy, stakeholder engagement, and/or politics.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to proactively anticipate our needs.
- Critical thinking skills. You’re able to identify and resolve problems quickly … and spot opportunities to advance our goals.
- Entrepreneurial “take charge” spirit and a positive attitude. You must be an independent, proactive self-starter and relish a startup work culture.
- Solid experience with donor CRMs, Microsoft Office applications, and software in a Mac OS X environment.
- Experience with WordPress a plus.
- Washington, DC metro-area candidates also preferred, but not required.
Reports To: This position reports directly to the President.
Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried position that includes vacation/personal days and health benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Travel: Some travel will be expected for key meetings. However, you will mostly work remotely from home.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, references, and salary requirements to email@example.com with a subject line: Development Manager.